Guest post from Matt Lee with Tenge Law!

Auto Insurance in Colorado

Every state, including Colorado, has requirements that must be met in order for a vehicle and its driver to use the roadways. These laws are meant to keep conscientious drivers from suffering financially when at-fault others cause damage to the person and property of others. These State insurance requirements are the rock-bottom basics, and by no means cover all of the countless contingencies.

Colorado law requires the following:

  • Minimum amount of liability insurance:
    • $25,000 per person for bodily injury, for a total benefit of
    • $50,000 per accident for bodily injury.
    • $15,000 per accident for property

In other words, if you are found to be at fault in an accident during which you destroy somebody’s new mini-van, injuring four of the five passengers, your insurance will probably be woefully inadequate. In this scenario, with today’s medical costs and the extreme likelihood of lawsuits, you stand to lose everything you’ve ever worked for.

For this reason, the “annoying little chore” of finding auto insurance, could be the most important “little chore” you’ve ever done. Knowing enough about auto insurance to protect yourself can be challenging. Your best bet is to buy insurance from an agent who understands how accidents can and do forever change the lives every day.


Other types of insurance coverage are available that can help you find the perfect balance between over and under insuring. Before you sign on the dotted line, ask your agent about optional coverages:


  • Medical payment (“med pay”) coverage:This rider must be offered as part of any Colorado car insurance policy. It is offered in increments of $1,000 towards accidental injuries which exceeds the minimum noted above.
  • Collision coverage: If you hit the tree in your own front yard without collision coverage, you will pay out-of-pocket for the damage.
  • Comprehensive coverage:Covers damages to your car caused by such events as theft, extreme weather, and wildlife.
  • Uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage: this rider will help to pay you for the damages you sustain in an accident with a driver who has no insurance or too little insurance,
  • Loan/lease gap coverage. This rider covers the gap between the actual vehicle value and the debt you will still owe.


Knowing you’re adequately covered may still not be enough. Well-insured drivers often need the help of a firm like Tenge Law to either to help recover damages caused by a negligent driver, or to defend yourself from lawsuits brought by others. If this happens, call the accident experts at Tenge Law.

Leave a reply